↑ Return to Minutes

March 2008 Minutes

Minutes of March 14, 2008 Federation meeting.

The meeting was called to order at 8:01 p.m. by President Tony Going. All Board members were in attendance.

The following chapters were not in attendance: Bass Assassin Six; Berkley; Bucketmouth Brigade; Essex County; Gloucester County; Mercer County; New Jersey Bass Hunters; North Jersey Bass Anglers; Northern New Jersey; Over the Ridge; Salem County; South Jersey; Tri-State.

The Minutes from the February 8, 2008 Federation meeting were read by Recording Secretary Nick Angiulo. The minutes were accepted via motion/second.

The Treasury Report was read by Treasurer Jim Bartolotto. The minutes were accepted via motion/second. Jim also wanted to thank all the members who indicated their appreciation to him for stepping up as Treasurer.

The Tournament Report was given by Al Purdy. For the Team Tournament, he confirmed that anglers could not use lead weights in Vermont waters. Member Nick Albano stated that he believed that a Vermont license was only needed if an angler fishes in the creeks and rivers on the Vermont side. Al confirmed that this was correct, but strongly urged anglers to get both licenses. He also stated that the areas around the Ferry Boats on Lake Champlain are off limits as well as the area around the ramp. He stated that clubs that still needed lodgings should look online for vacation rentals. Al stated that the first regular event at the Susquehanna Flats is all set; and indicated that the second event at Lake Lillinonah will utilize two ramps; the Steel Bridge ramp and the Pond Brook ramp. The first 35 entries will be designated to the Steel Bridge ramp and the overflow will be assigned to launch at the Pond Brook ramp. He also indicated that he still had Co-angler Division plaques for the winners from the 2007 events. Tony reemphasized that there will be a total of $3,000 additional dollars to be paid out in the point tournaments in 2008.

Al indicated that there are two new clubs that have joined the Federation. One is an eight-man club; and the other club has more than 17 members. The first club is mainly previous Federation club members and the other is a club that has members that were originally contemplating joining the Federation Nation. Al asked the members in attendance to allow these clubs to fish the upcoming Team Tournament even though they were not established at the deadline. No objections were noted.

Tony stated that there would be a chicken dinner at the Team Tournament for all participants hosted by the Knights of Columbus in Ticonderoga, and that it will be paid for by the Federation. Tony asked whether there should be a $10 per person assessment to allow for give away prizes. Two members in attendance indicated it would be better to not have such a requirement and it may be better just to hold 50/50s at the event. Tony stated that the 2007 tournament season awards will be presented at the dinner.

Secretary Bruce Stovall indicated that Bob Uhrig from MegaStrike was running an open buddy event on Saturday, March 29 at Lake Assunpink. Pre-registration is required and there is a 50 boat maximum. The entry fee is $250 per team and the first prize payout will be $5,000 based on a full field. Credit card payments are accepted and Bob’s number is 732-689-3474. Bruce stated that Bob has supported the Federation and encouraged members to fish if possible.

Executive Officer Forest Honeywell stated that he had $700 from oil sales, tee shirts sales, etc., for the Youth Account. Forest then read a letter from the TBF regarding a Youth Merchandise Program. New Jersey was one of the few states that had an application in for this program by the deadline; and will receive a merchandise package valued at more than $1,000; including products from Berkley, Ranger and the TBF. Forest also indicated that Show Director Joe Poms wished to thank all the individuals who helped out at the Suffern Outdoor Show.

Tony stated that he signed contracts with Plano, Ranger and MinnKota. He currently has three trolling motors available for discounted sales as well as three battery chargers.

Tony stated that the Federation lost TBF monies since some clubs were not registered in time. He also stated that some clubs/individuals are still not registered with the TBF. Bruce stated that the internet registration was not particularly “user friendly,” and there were “dual” club issues as well. He stated that he would recommend changes and discuss issues regarding registration when he sees the TBF representatives at the Nationals.

Nick Albano from the Bergen Bassmasters presented the members in attendance with a proposal for an open buddy event hosted by the Federation and sponsored by the TBF to benefit the children of active servicemen and women through the USO of Metropolitan New York. Nick indicated that the event could be held at Lake Champlain or the Hudson River on Columbus Day, October 13. He stated that any sponsor monies would go to the USO; as well as money from the Ticonderoga Chamber of Congress; raffle monies based on sponsor product donations; any extra proceeds from a dinner held the night before the event; as well as a “boat number” charitable donation from anglers. Nick indicated he is volunteering to coordinate the event, but would need assistance. He emphasized it would be a 100% entry fee payback to anglers. He stated that a USO representative would be at the April Federation meeting to discuss the details further. Member Marc Goldberg volunteered to help. Nick asked the members in attendance to discuss the matter with their members. A vote by show of hands was taken as to whether to hold the event. All clubs authorized the event.

Member Bob Kyriacos indicated that based on concerns with Co-Angler participation, he designed a Co-Angler Survey to try to determine their concerns/needs/etc. He stated that he would like the Board to review/modify the survey and he would like to have it distributed at the first event to Co-Anglers. Tony thanked Bob for the effort and both Tony and Al stated that it was a great idea and that the Board was behind it. Al stated he would attach a survey to every Co-Anglers application stub asking that they turn it in at the Susquehanna Flats check-in.

A drawing for a large Plano tackle box was held. The winner was by Bob Osman. The drawing collected $73.
A motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 9:14 p.m.
Submitted by Nick Angiulo, Recording Secretary.